Monday, October 3, 2016

July 14, 2015

Almost finished!
Claudine, with one of the boys from the community, sitting on the seats for the latrine
 The last 2 days have been filled with mostly working on the school BUT, we are (pretty much) done!  All we have to do tomorrow is wet the cement so that it becomes extra fortified.  I'm so excited that this project is close to finishing because that means it's that much closer to being able to house students who will be able to complete their education.  It's such a rewarding feeling to complete a project like this.  I've learned a lot from the community of Miraluz.  They have taught (or rather reaffirmed in) me that it's not about what you have, but more about being grateful that you are alive.  I've also been reminded to be thankful for what I do have, because the people of Miraluz have so little, yet can still find joy in the little things.  Today I learned that Doña Sofia is a warrior, who defends her community at every possible opportunity, and has fought (literally) people (some in the same community) to get this school built.  I admire the way she cares for others and how she is concerned for people she hardly knows.  Yesterday Elsa was sick and Doña Sofia kept asking how she was doing.  It's been such a pleasure to get to know her.  I knew this experience was going to be life-changing but it has caught me off guard by how the people have affected me.  The youth have bonded with a lot of the younger kids and it has been a delight to watch.  there is this set of 3 sisters:  Cristiana, Illyaida (sp.?), and Maria-Guadalupe, that are so sweet.  Maria-Guadalupe is the youngest and she always tried to do everything the bigger kids do.  They are all quiet but love to joke around with us.  And they love to take photos with you :-)  I'm glad about that because then I'll have them in my mind always.  I'm a little sad that tomorrow is our last day in the community, but I'm glad that I'll be home soon to tell people all about my work down here and everything I took away from it.
Eileen (top, middle) and Axie (bottom) with some of our new friends from Miraluz


No comments: